Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Mind Is As Clear As An Azure Sky Of Deepest Summer, Yet It Is The Middle Of Winter. All Thanks To Carlos...

Last night I had the opportunity to witness my favorite poet in action, raw, beautiful, and live. I dragged my friend down to the Bowery Poetry Club to make sure we got there early to get a seat close up so I can breathe his essence. When we approached the door, the line was starting to form outside. We waited until they let us inside. A storm of people rushed to get up close. None of them were impolite; all smiles, handshakes, and hugs. That's when I realized, me and my friend were the youngest people here. I never felt so much at home in a room full of strangers. We all were here to see one person, one beautiful soul who has all captivated us... Carlos Andres Gomez.

Once everyone got to their seats, but their an abundance of people who were waiting to get in. They packed in the back of the club like a can of sardines. Once they did the introduction, he came out full of energy and vibrant. He is one of the most beautiful men I have ever seen, yet he is very humble. He began his setlist, energetic and soulfully. His poems sent shivers down our spines, joy to our hearts, and called tears to roll down our cheeks.

Carlos Andres Gomez posesses this remarkable talent that makes him a truth-telling visionary. He's a lyrical prophet in his own right and in my eyes, a poetry vanguard. His words are real and sincere, and will having you pouring out tears. I caught myself laughing the hardest I had in a long time unexpectedly after I was just crying. He took us all through a range of emotions, shared a few stories, and touched on topics that you've thought of, or spoke quietly about to a friend, but have never let in out in a room, packed with people who love and support you. It's amazing how he memorizes his words and never trips all over them. They are simply flawless. His love resonated off that stage and gave me the warmest feeling ever.

After then end of the show, we got to meet him and talk to him for a bit. He said to me, you look familiar, I gave a shy smile and said facebook. He gave the warmest hug ever and had the biggest smile when I walked up to him. I explained how I am an aspiring writer and how I wish the kids in my school would hear the things he was saying on stage. He told me, not to push so hard and realize that I am enough...

This is one of my favorite poems he performed last night

No comments:

Post a Comment